Sunday, December 30, 2007

New Year, New Post

Well, sort of. Still spending way too much time working on that upcoming Nickelodeon show to do really new work, so here's some "classic" stuff from DEXTER'S LAB: The one where, as a senile old man, he reminisced (incorrectly) about his days as a secret agent.... in outer space. We set out to do a deliberate parody of the SAMURAI JACK alien bar, which was pretty easy, 'cause most of us worked on that show, too:

I tried to keep these designs loose and super-sketchy....
y'know, keep 'em fresh. All in all, a fun assignment.

Yes, that is the infamous "Jim" character from THE POWERPUFF GIRLS
"Mime For A Change" episode, originally designed by the mighty Craig Kellman,
and based on PPG/DEX background designer Jim Worthy. ....and yes,
that's Gleep/Glorp from THE HERCULOIDS hanging out with him.


Be sure to check out the suspicious characters in the lower right.

15 comments:

Drake Brodahl (pumml) said...

Way to start it off with a bang! Great post. Love these designs. Happy New Year!

Now, please wrap that show up so we can see some new stuff! :)

Anonymous said...

I can see pikachu and a bong but that 3rd character ment to be...?

Chris Battle said...

dru26- Pikachu and the bong are the only ones meant to be notable (aside from the obvious Giger ALIEN above); The 3rd guy is just a weird doodle-shape.

Anonymous said...

Nice, I hope you don't mind if I save some of these images.

Anonymous said...

fun!
I love the silhouette work most of all.

Mukpuddy said...

Freakin awesome bro!!! Goddam it when are we gonna get some Dexter dvds!!!!

mkpo said...

Great art,
and happy new year chris

spleenal said...

i like the way alien 6 ( shmoo? ) has his drink just floating there

having said that they're all cool

Unknown said...

I can toally hear the Cantina soundtrack as I look at these! Now I gotta bust out my Star Wars DVD and watch it today.

Jackson Dryden said...

These characters are too cool!

Hobo Divine said...

YESSSSS!

Doo-de-doo-dee-do-de-do-deeee, dee-dee-dee do-dee do do!
(This is the music from Star Wars during the Canteen scene)

I love it!

Alan said...

Future Bar Alien number 4 rules. That movie scared the heck out of me as a kid!

Andrew Glazebrook said...

Brill !! I love Vinny and Hammerhead !! :)

Unknown said...

These are wicked fun and awesome, Chris!!

Anonymous said...

Ah a wretched hive of scum and villainy.....I love it!

What, not rocking the Post-it notes yet this year? Bummer.....

I'm looking forward to finally seeing the Mighty B air. I'm sure it's going to be great.

Great work Chris!